Monday, November 23, 2009

One step at a time.

"You can go anywhere if you simply go one step at a time."

As I sit locked away in my room, in the stillness of this moment, the only thing I can hear is the pinging of rain drops against my window. I've recently found that one of the simplest blessings is hiding myself from this broken world so that I can become lost in my own imperfect life. And I use "imperfect" not to highlight my life's deficiencies, but to emphasize the sweet reality that I'm not living the life I thought I would.

There have been many stepping stones along the path that has brought me here. Some were insignificant, more like pebbles that just needed swept to the side. Others were more troublesome that required intense concentration just to maintain my balance. And I've been lucky enough to come across those perfect, oblong-shaped stones that conform to the soles of my feet, supporting my weight - those stones that somehow give me the extra push I need to move on to the next phase in my life.

I read long ago that God knows the plans he has for me...plans for prosperity, plans for a future. While I don't expect to rid my life of the harshness and brutality it sometimes offers, I can rest in the knowledge that my life is moving toward the future he has for me. And every so often, when my feet do land on those unstable and unpredictable steps, I will remember to look for the precious oblong stones that support my very being.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Steph. I believe those oblong stones are often friends and family. But God can use just about anything that is sustaining and edifying to you. For me, it's often art and music, but as I said, more often, friends. And of course, there is the most oblong and personally-applicable stone of all, the holy scriptures. I really enjoyed this. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete